Skip to main content

tv   Larry King Live  CNN  November 11, 2010 12:00am-1:00am EST

12:00 am
>> larry: tonight, order in the court, judge judy rules on bullies and bad parents and same-sex marriage and sweets in schools and happy meals, all food for thought. >> that's what happens when you try to talk over me. >> larry: judge judy with your phone calls next on "larry king live."
12:01 am
>> larry: good evening. judge judy presides over the number one rated daytime court show. i think the number one daytime syndicated show. judge judy is now in its 15th year. she has been on this show 24 times. here's a sampling of some of those appearances. why do we like you? >> i'm not sure. and i won't give you the formula even if i was sure because i wouldn't want anybody around here to replicate it for a while until i'm finished with it. at my age, and i am 55 -- you're opposed say i don't look like i am dplooif, but that's okay. people from brooklyn grow one a certain common sense, if it doesn't ring true, it's not true. you want me to be honest with you, i'm always honest, larry. i think people would be
12:02 am
disappointed with me if they asked me a direct answer and i didn't give a direct answer. >> larry: welcome back to judge judy live. >> i couldn't do what you do, i could not. >> i could don't what you do. >> i am not a good interviewer. i don't liable to rule by committee. i like sort of an autocratic way of dealing with things. why be frustrated when you can be the queen. >> larry: who needs it? what's it like when you look back? do you ever pinch yourself? because you have a second career, you were a family court judge in new york. >> i had a great -- well, definitely 100. i was in the family court for 25 years. and having started a second career, having a second act when you were 52 was something i never thought would happen to me. and when i look back at some of those clips now i'm the only person i know who goes from dark to blond.
12:03 am
>> is it a surprise to you how successful it's been? >> yes. at the beginning, it was astounding to me. and then i began, i think slowly to understand that our program, although we like to think it's entertaining, it's got to be entertaining to stay on television, but i think it strikes a cord with a lot of people. >> larry: why? >> i think people were comfortable going back to a time when there was responsibility and there were parameters to good behavior. and if you went beyond legitimate parameters of good behavior, you got a good whooping and a good slapping around, and they enjoy watching people who suffer from bad behavior getting a whooping. >> larry: what do you make of this movement if it's called that in america now, the
12:04 am
elections the way they went. the antipathy, the anger? >> well, first of all, i believe that we're very lucky to have a two party system. and the vitriol is something i don't understand. instead of celebrating the differences and there are legitimate differences in the two parties, i mean you've got the extreme end of the poles of the two parties. but i think most people, democrat and republican are people of good will, they are good family people, they want the best for their children, they want to grow up in a safe community, they want to do the right thing for people who really can't take care of themselves. but there are differences. and, you know, small government, as opposed to bigger government, states rights as opposed to those people who believe that the federal government should take more of a responsibility in running your life as opposed to the states. so there are legitimate differences and we should
12:05 am
celebrate those differences. eventually things come back to the center, that's been my experience, we have been around for a couple of years and we think that people can shout from the right and from the left and you become fearful of somebody that's all the way to the right and fearful of who somebody who's all the way to the right. eventually you come back to the middle. >> larry: extremes hate the middle. >> too bad because that's where it's at. there's a reasoned approach to things. i mean we don't have to give away the store in order to say, well, you believe in taking care of people who can't take care of themselves. you don't have to say that the federal government should have no authority over running what your lives should be. the federal government has a legitimate right in my view to get involved with insuring that people, whether they're men, women or black or white or gay or straight have certain basic civil rights, period.
12:06 am
>> larry: i know you supported the president. he seems something about him, almost above the fray, it's like he's there, he doesn't -- he doesn't run the office as he cam campaigned for the office. what's your read? >> you know, i think we all have legitimate expectations for what we can do and then we sometimes live in a world that's not legitimate expectations, when you have a system of government that has checks and balances, sometimes you hit gridlock. i think you know that sometimes politics overrides what is the legitimate best interests of the country. while i voted for our president, i did so because i thought that the country needed to change in direction. i think that change of direction didn't take place as quickly as they thought it would take place if it ever could at all.
12:07 am
now we have the different menu in washington. we have a different -- we have a different political menu in washington. and my fear and i think the fear of a lot of people is that because we now have a house that is going to sort of put the skids on, nothing's going to happen for the next two years because everybody's looking in regard to the next election, rather than looking forward to what's best for our country. i think it's a legitimate fear. >> human kind is selfish then. >> yeah, and they look to cover their own behind. >> you see that caught all the time, right? >> yes, i do. and that's why i say coming back to your question, why are we still around after 15 years, i think that people like to see the right thing happen attend of the day. and i think they're frustrated at a judicial system that we talked about before that didn't seem to get the job done. and when we got the job done, it
12:08 am
very often got it wrong. so i think in our very small way, we say, listen, this is right, this is wrong, you're the good guy, you're the bad guy. >> larry: let's discuss the individual things that has fwaun on in the news, we're going to include your phone calls and e-mails, come onboard. the connecticut home invasion case t jury gave the murder steven hayes the death penalty, after two days of deliberating by the way, much discussion despite the brutality of it. what do you make of that case? another man still to stand trial. >> we have discussed the death penalty here two or three times and i know that we have because i get lots of mail after. don't send me the mail, i don't read bad mail. i believe that the death penalty is an appropriate alternative in an appropriate case. i'm only annoyed in the
12:09 am
connecticut case, we had to see the jury 18 hours before we came to a decision. it would have taken me 30 seconds. and i know that you and i disagree on the death penalty. but i haven't heard any clamoring from those opponents of the death penalty as a dispositional alternative with regard to this case. why do you think that is? >> larry: why do they have to have a rule to cover one case? >> it doesn't cover one case. there's no issue, we don't have an issue. we're not talking -- we're not talking about a mistake, we're not talking about police misconduct, we're not talking about turning over grading material, we're talking about somebody -- we don't have to go into the facts, everybody know the facts of the case. >> larry: does it puzzle you then that so few countries use it? >> it doesn't puzzle me at all.
12:10 am
i think it's an appropriate dispositional alternative. i don't necessarily think that it is only in a case that you have killed somebody by tying them to a bed and setting them on fire at age 11. you have somebody who kidnaps a child and holds them for decades. rapes, them, fathers children with them and there's no issue that that happened and then you worry about what should we do to this person as a form of punishment? >> larry: you state it well. has judge judy ever served on a jury? what's it like to be the only person who's beat oprah in the ratings? we're going to ask. stay with us. ♪
12:11 am
when you're responsible for this much of the team, you need a car you can count on.
12:12 am
12:13 am
>> larry: we're back with judge judy in her 15th year. what do you think about beating oprah? no one beats oprah. how dare you? >> well, first of all, we did that for a period of time and we did that last year. i have to be honest with you, the last few weeks, she's whipping my tail. >> larry: it's her closing year. >> it's the ebb and flow -- oprah is undeniably the queen of daytime television, she's brought a dimension to day-time
12:14 am
television that i think has not been there before and to the media in general, he's tireless. to be a billionaire, to make yourself a billionaire when you came from the kind of life that she came from at the beginning, to me it's miraculous. so, sure, it was fun for a moment, it was fun while it lasts, there will be somebody to knock me off my perch, i guarantee it. >> larry: has oprah ever asked you to be a guest? >> no. >> larry: surprising? >> yes. >> larry: i would have bet she would. that would have been my guess. anyway, maybe she'll say why not have judge judy on, have you ever been on a jury? >> i was called to jury duty once and i was -- have you ever
12:15 am
been in -- >> larry: no. i was excused. >> the lawyers question you and one of these smart aleck young guys was questioning me, and i was in the greater jury pool, and he said we all know who you are. he said, now, if i were to give you certain instructions and asked you to, you know, disregard certain things and the judge was to direct you to certain things an then i asked additional questions, would you listen carefully to everything i said? >> i said if you say it and get to the point. i was excused and i was never called back. >> all right, there's a cheating scandal at the university of central florida. as many as 200 students are believed to have gotten an advanced copy of an exam. the cheaters have been told to fess up or face expulsion. some students say this is a witch hunt, that everybody cheats. what's your reaction to that? and should the student fess up? >> i think all the students who participated -- now that their
12:16 am
number's up, they got caught, and they're probably according to what i read 200 of the 600 students in the class, that there's 600 students which means that the professor doesn't know any of them but knows by the numbers that there was cheating. they got the key to the financial exam. they have the opportunity to come forward pause the professor is going to retest the entire class, they have already studied for this exam. you have 2/3 of them who did it legitimately, only a third of them cheated so you really only have 2/3 of them going to suffer for it. does everybody cheat, the answer is probably at some point or another in their academic career, everybody cribs a little bit. i know i had the nightmares about cheating on a chemistry chest for probably 40 years. i thought they were going to take away my house and my car and my children because that was my nightmare.
12:17 am
>> larry: is it okay to tell on somebody if you know they have cheated? >> you know, that's an honor code. i would actually prefer that you say to the person, it's unreasonable that you cheated. it doesn't level the playing field for all of us. you cheated therefore you got a better grade, we studied and we did not get the kind of grade you did because you cheat. that makes your grade unfair and i suggest you do something about it. >> larry: back with more of judge judy and we'll be taking your calls. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 absolutely. i mean, these financial services companies tdd# 1-800-345-2550 are still talking about retirement tdd# 1-800-345-2550 like it's some kind of dream.
12:18 am
tdd# 1-800-345-2550 it's either this magic number i'm supposed to reach, or... tdd# 1-800-345-2550 it's beach homes or it's starting a vineyard. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 come on! tdd# 1-800-345-2550 just help me figure it out in a practical, tdd# 1-800-345-2550 let's-make-this-happen kind of way. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 a vineyard? give me a break. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 [ male announcer ] looking for real-life answers tdd# 1-800-345-2550 to your retirement questions? tdd# 1-800-345-2550 get real. get started. talk to chuck. tdd# 1-800-345-2550 aspercreme breaks the grip, with maximum-strength medicine and no embarrassing odor. break the grip of pain with aspercreme.
12:19 am
12:20 am
your honor, if i may, the hissy fit started -- >> i don't care. what i'm doing is creating a broad stroke of what this case is about. if you want to audition for dr. phil, go elsewhere. >> okay. >> your children are not his responsibility. >> we're not discussing my children. >> we are talking about -- no we are talking about your -- your case is dismissed. that's what happens when you try to talk over me. do you understand? >> i understand. >> that's what happens. like that. >> what do you do when you get mad at both sides? >> it's actually not a popularity contest.
12:21 am
it's much easier to rule in favor of somebody who you like and who has a just cause. but it really isn't the right thing to do. >> larry: a good judge can never -- if you don't like one lawyer, you can't hold that against him, if you don't like him personally. >> and you should never hold that against his client. we're all human. >> larry: do you think education is not a right? >> education is -- you have the right to a free public school education. but if you abuse that right by misbehaving in class and therefore inhibiting the rest of the 28 people in class from learning, you lose that right. i don't think we have to keep disruptive children in the school system and there by maintain our school system as a
12:22 am
second rate school system in this world. i think that that's a big mistake. and so while i think a free public school education is something that should be guaranteed to all american children, if you bring a gun into school, you have lost it. you have lost that right. and if you assault a teacher in a school, and disrupt -- in any other way are disruptive so that other children can't learn, who also have a right to a good education, then i think you've lost that right. >> larry: which brings us to our next topic. this question posted on the "larry king live" page on our facebook page. how will judge judy handle the problem of bullying in the schools? are the parents accountable for a bullying child? >> yes. parents are responsible for teaching their children morality. parents are responsible for teaching their children by example and otherwise empathetic behavior. empathetic behavior, respect for another person. >> larry: have we always had it or is it a new phenomenon because it's on tv all the time. >> i think we have had bullying
12:23 am
since david and goliath, now it's taken on a global proportion because you used to bully one-on-one, or three-on-one, or two-on-one. now if you want to be a bully, you only have to book something that's terrible on your facebook page and it goes to an entire school or a neighborhood. so the bullying has become more intense, it's no longer giving somebody a bloody nose. and just as we wouldn't ask parents to teach chemistry and calculus to our children, i certainly couldn't have done that with my children, teach them algebra.
12:24 am
i think it's a tremendous mistake for people to use the -- it's an excuse to say it's not my job, this bullying happened at the school, therefore it's the school's responsibility. it's not. it's your responsibility as a parent to keep your kids in line and to let them know what the right thing to do is. if it happens at school, school is responsible for the safety of children while they're under their parameters. but other than that, it's not the responsibility of the school to teach morality. >> larry: we don't know why people bully, do we? >> makes them feel better. it's the short kids, you know, were bullied because they were short, and then they became aggressive and then they became tough. my husband from the bronx used to belong to a gang that was called the munchkins because they were all below 5'6". but they figured there was strength in numbers.
12:25 am
so that was their gang. i don't think people who have positive self-esteem bully, but who cares. >> larry: judges face dilemmas in cases like lindsay lohan, what do you do with a continual addict? we'll hear from judge judy after this. ♪ everything you need to stretch out on long trips. residence inn. ♪
12:26 am
everything you need to stay balanced on long trips. residence inn. [ male announcer ] an everyday moment can turn romantic anytime. and when it does, men with erectile dysfunction can be more confident in their ability to be ready with cialis for daily use. cialis for daily use is a clinically proven low-dose tablet you take every day, so you can be ready anytime the moment's right.
12:27 am
♪ tell your doctor about your medical condition and all medications, and ask if you're healthy enough for sexual activity. don't take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. [ man ] don't drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache, or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than 4 hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, stop taking cialis and call your doctor right away. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if cialis for daily use is right for you. for a 30-tablet free trial offer, go to cialis.com. i'm taking off $200. >> your honor, i don't owe her a penny. >> i'm not talking to you. see that? you're blinded from my eye. >> she tore up everything.
12:28 am
>> that is a lie. >> hey, don't talk to her. >> wow! >> it's hard to believe selective when they're liars. >> you want to go tell your story, go on springer. >> larry: judge judy. very funny, very talented and the show that keeps on keeping on. before we talk about lindsay lohan, there is a number of recent cases of bullying gays. why do you think gays are targeted? why should we bully someone who has a different sexual preference through new desire, i mean we never know why someone is gay or hetero. >> i actually don't know the answer to that question. but it's interesting to note that gay men are usually not bullied by women. they're usually targeted by other men. and maybe it's because there is
12:29 am
a certain insecurity by those men. that somehow in their own twisted way are concerned that maybe people think that that could be me, how do you tell the difference? what kind of behavior is that? you don't find the same kind of bullying of lesbian women by women. isn't that an oddity? you don't hear about it much. you hear about it by men. and gay men. i don't know the answer, i don't -- it's wrong and it shouldn't be and people should be free to live their lives based upon how they feel most comfortable. >> larry: you
12:30 am
>> larry: you officiated the wedding of michael feinstein. do you think we're on the way to gay marriage nationwide? >> well, i certainly hope so. i hope that no person in this country should be deprived of basic -- some basic rights because of their ethnicity, their gender, their color, their race. anything. you work hard, you pay your taxes, you're a good citizen, you vote, you are a functioning member of a community, what difference does it make if you are gay or straight? to me, it's none, and i know to you, none. and what difference does it make if you're a jewish man that marries a catholic woman or a black woman that marries a white man? and if you raise lovely children and they're productive, what difference does it make? that's where the federal government has to be involved to be sure that all people have those basic rights. >> larry: through all my years i have never understand prejudice. because it's stupid to prejudge. >> then you must feel comfortable in your own skin.
12:31 am
most people who suffer from prejudices don't feel comfortable in their own skin. they feel in some way inadequate. i believe they feel in some way less worthy and therefore it's easy to pick on somebody else's what they perceived to be shortcomings. >> larry: what's your take on iowa, they fired three judges in the state supreme court for ruling in favor of same-sex marriage. >> well, i don't think they fired them. >> they voted them out. >> they voted the way they're supposed to by checking off a ballot. now some people believe that we have to select judges in a different way. it should not be -- they should not be judged based upon how they rule, however, sometimes
12:32 am
judges legislate, and if you legislate as a judge, the public has a right to get rid of them. >> larry: if a judge rules that same-sex marriage is okay because it's constitutionally okay, is he legislating? >> no, he's saying we you have to ensure that everyone has the same rights. then you have a legislature and it's your responsibility as a voter to ensure that the people who you vote in represent you in my view, what we have to do here is to ensure that the people who we elect to represent us actually represent us and then don't get to their respective houses or senate, whether it be state or federal and then decide
12:33 am
they're their own person, but they're not there to voice their opinion about what the state of law should be. what you are as a representative, is you are the voice of your constituents and if you don't want to be the voice of your constituents, you should step down and let everybody else -- and all of a sudden he gets to the house, the senate, their state legislature saying i don't want to be a republican or democrat anymore, i'm going to change parties. that's unreasonable. you're not supposed to change parties. you don't want to be a republican or a democrat anymore, resign and say to your constituents, this is who i am now. do you still want to vote for me? >> larry: she's so logical. judge judy is our guest. you're watching ""larry king live."" ♪
12:34 am
[ indistinct shouting ] ♪ another day ♪ another dollar ♪ daylight comes [ dogs barking ] ♪ i'm on my way ♪ another day ♪ another dollar ♪ working my whole life away ♪ another day ♪ another dollar [ man ] i thought our family business would always be boots. until one day, my daughter showed me a designer handbag. and like that, we had a new side to our business. [ male announcer ] when businesses see an opportunity, the hartford is there. protecting their employees and property and helping them prepare for the future. nice boots. nice bag. [ male announcer ] see how the hartford helps businesses
12:35 am
at achievewhatsahead.com.
12:36 am
what i have sort of found out here in california is that everybody thinks they have to surround them with their arms and give them a whole bunch of "kumbaya" and love. i come from brooklyn, if a cop's giving you a ticket, he doesn't give you a whole lot of love with a ticket. you're not allowed to vandalize another person's property. >> she has a kid and she goes out partying all the time. she has custody, and going clubbing -- do you think you're
12:37 am
going to talk over me? >> i'm sorry. >> larry: it's a fun, educational and fun show. before we get to the calls, how do the courts deal with lindsay lohan as an example of someone who is an addict? why should an addict be a criminal? >> let's not talk about lindsay lohan in particular. let's talk about what my view is on people who have drug or substance abuse problems. if you do that in your house and drink yourself to death, that's your problem. and if you want to shoot yourself up with heroin in your house or snort cocaine in your house, and kill yourself, that's your problem. when you take that alcohol outside and get behind a wheel of a car and place other people at risk, that's not your problem anymore. you may be an addict, but now you're an addict that's placed other people at risk. and if you want to kill yourself, that's fine.
12:38 am
but if you have a child and because you're a crack head, you bring some boyfriend into your house that beats and starves and strangles your 2-year-old, that's the court's problem. even though you're an addict, and it's not an excuse. being an addict is not an excuse if you have placed the public at risk. >> larry: middlefield, ohio as we go to some calls for judge judy. hello. >> caller: yes, what a thrill. thank you so much. i would like to ask judge judy, of all the years she's taped her shows, is there any show we have never gotten to see because of the outcome or the attitude of the people, any violence or anything? >> larry: or any language. >> you know, i don't know. i just try them and then it's up to my very competent --
12:39 am
>> larry: you have never been told we're not going to run this show? >> no. and actually nobody has ever gotten violent with me. >> larry: nobody's punched anybody else across the county? >> outside, i don't know what they did outside, but not in front of me. >> larry: hello. >> caller: i would first like to say, out of all the women i know in my life, you're number three after my wife and mother. is there one case that you have overseen that sticks out in your mind that you say, wow, that was a tough one? >> you know, i haven't had any of those on the court television. but there have been a couple of cases that i tried in my family court experience. most of them had to do with children.
12:40 am
most of them had to do with abusive children. the inhumanity that a parent can impose on their child. sometimes -- >> larry: in a custody case, how is a judge trained? how do you know when a man says i'm a better father, she says i'm a better mother, how do you know? where do you learn that? >> you know, i think that you probably learn from life's experience and that's why there are some good judges and some lousy ones. some judges have their own predisposition as to whether mothers make better parents or fathers make better full-time parents. i never had that predisposition. >> larry: they have seminars and they train on things like this. >> well, they try. actually, i mean judges are only human beings, they're lawyers who are human beings, some are skilled, some are not skilled. unfortunately in the family courts in the early '70s and '80s when i was practicing
12:41 am
before i went on the bench and before ed koch became a mayor, we had a roster of judges that were so mediocre handling family cases because it was a dumping ground for hacks, and ed koch really fixed that because people's lives were really being adjudicated -- we're not always successful, but you're supposed to try to evaluate the best possible evidence and make a judgment. >> larry: and there's been a lot of unexpected courtroom drama on judge judy, we're going to show you a scary moment after this. one a day men's -- a complete multivitamin for my overall health. plus now it supports my heart health and helps maintain healthy blood pressure. [ engine revs ] whoa. kinda makes your heart race, huh? my professor at berkeley asked me if i wanted to change the world. i said "sure." "well, let's grow some algae." and that's what started it. exxonmobil and synthetic genomics
12:42 am
have built a new facility to identify the most productive strains of algae. algae are amazing little critters. they secrete oil, which we could turn into biofuels. they also absorb co2. we're hoping to supplement the fuels that we use in our vehicles, and to do this at a large enough scale to someday help meet the world's energy demands. one month, five years after you do retire? ♪ client comes in and they have a box. and inside that box is their financial life. people wake up and realize i better start doing something. we open up that box. we organize it. and we make decisions. we really are here to help you. they look back and think, "wow. i never thought i could do this." but we've actually done it. [ male announcer ] visit ameriprise.com and put a confident retirement more within reach.
12:43 am
12:44 am
>> larry: judge judy usually is the one who shakes things up in her tv courtroom. there was one where mother nature rocked the proceedings. take a look. >> you got your bank numbers done now and you got your pin numbers somehow. >> larry: that was back in 2008, several people have tweeted us wanting me to ask you about that episode. what was -- that was an earthquake? what went through your mind? >> you know, earthquakes go so fast here in los angeles, by the time my mind connected with what it was, it was over. i don't remember what the case was, but anyway it was over. i wanted to say something to you because i know we have very
12:45 am
little time left. >> larry: we have time. >> i know one of the joys for me, and a lot of the other people who spent an hour on this wonderful television program. despite the fact that larry king may not believe in individual things that we believe in, we get to voice our views in a noncno nonconfrontational way with you, who is probably the most guest-friendly host that i have ever incountered. an example of that is a very easy one for the people who are watching who don't understand what i'm talking about, you are a person who does not believe that the state should be for instance in the business of executing people, irrespective of the crime. and we discussed that today when i finished my segment.
12:46 am
but you allowed me my voice and you have allowed over the course of your 25 years other people their voice who may not share your opinion. that's not something that's around these days, larry. >> larry: i know. >> that's what i when i talk about the vitriol. i know somebody else who's going to be doing this hour starting the first of the year. i don't know whether i will be invited as a guest and i don't know if i will do it because most people who have an hour are out to feather their own nest. they're out to make themselves look good. they're out for their own charismatic perspective on things. and that's what makes larry king's hour so special. it was special to me for the many times that i have appeared. i just wanted to tell you that publicly. >> larry: i try to ask very good questions. >> you do. >> larry: but i think i'm a conduit. >> you are, that's what this is, and it's without hostility and that's what's missing in politics today. you and i can differ, but we can
12:47 am
still respect each other's opinions. i respect your opinion about things that i may not embrace. >> larry: the best thing i ever heard, it's a great sentence, i have never learned anything when i was talking. should school decide what your kids eat? we'll see what judge judy had to say about that next. it's a sale. nothing beats a sale! wrong move! you. you can save up to half off that sale when you name your own price on priceline. but this one's a deal...trust me. it's only pretending to be a deal. here, bid $79. got it. wow! you win this time good twin! there's no disguising the real deal.
12:48 am
she starts at dawn and so does her back pain.om. that's two pills foa four hour drive. the drive is done. so it's a day of games and two more pills. the games are over, her pain is back, that's two more pills. and when she's finally home, but hang on, just two aleve can keep back pain away all day with fewer pills than tylenol. this is rachel, who chose aleve and two pills for a day free of pain. ♪ and get the all day pain relief of aleve in liquid gels. ♪
12:49 am
>> larry: anderson cooper will host "ac 360" at the top of the hour.
12:50 am
what's our lead tonight, anderson? >> you're not going to believe this, tonight, why in the world is amazon.com selling a guide book for pedophiles? the book tells pedophiles what they can get away with, what kind of touching and fondling of kids is legal. it even advises them when they don't have to use condoms with kids. the book is disgusting, so how come amazon is standing behind it, profiting from it? we're keeping them honest, and dr. phil joins us as well. also nine months in hell, that's how elizabeth smart describes the time spent with her captor. today she testified against him. those stories and breaking news on don't ask, don't tell. details of what that government report is coming up at the top of the hour. >> larry: that's "ac 360," hell of a show. tonight, 10:00 eastern, 7:00 pacific. what do you make of that? first, let me quote -- the right to freedom of speech. does amazon have a right to publish a book on how to be a
12:51 am
pedophile successfully under the law? >> it's so hard to live in this country. it's so hard to live under a constitution that sometimes is ridiculous. it is ridiculous. do i think that amazon has the right to publish it? probably. do i think -- to sell it? i don't know if they published it. >> larry: probably didn't publish it. >> they probably are just selling it, so they have the right to sell it, absolutely. they also have the right not to sell it. and if they choose to sell it, people have the right to protest their poor judgment by doing a lot of things. one of the things is going back to barnes & noble and not buying their books on amazon anymore. you know, you have the right to do it. barnes & noble has the right to put that in their window. >> larry: economic protest is law of the land. >> that's what this country is all about. >> larry: we were calling on friends of cnn heroes to tell us
12:52 am
more about this year's top ten honorees, all of whom will be honored at a celebrity-studded gala hosted by anderson cooper. tonight an olympic hero and a champion tells us about a hero who deserves a gold medal for helping war veterans. watch. >> hi, i'm evan lysacek. i'm committed to breaking the cycle of homelessness and poverty in our country, and i see just how much the world needs heroes. now i'm thrilled to help cnn introduce one of this year's hop ten honorees. >> baghdad ended up being a hell of a ride. i sustained a very severe blast injury. my life just came to a complete halt. >> how are you doing? how's everything? you look sharp today. >> i've been building custom homes for 30 years. one of the most important things for a family is a home.
12:53 am
i want you to read a sign for me. >> future home of sergeant alexander reyes, united states army. congratulations. >> giving these folks a new home just means the world. >> just thank you. that's all i can say. >> my name is dan wallrath. we build homes for returning heroes from iraq and afghanistan. the homes are mortgage free. it changes the whole family's life. >> welcome home. >> it gives them just a new start so they can move forward. these young men and women are doing this for you and me. how can i not help them? >> larry: the top ten heroes, vote for the one that inspires you the most. go to cnn.com/heroes. back with our remaining moments with judge judy, my hero, after this. ♪
12:54 am
when you're responsible for this much of the team, you need a car you can count on. 20 minutes later, she'll bring one into the world in seattle. later today, she'll help an accident victim in kansas. how can one nurse be in all these places? through the nurses she taught in this place. johnson & johnson knows, behind every nurse who touches a life... there's a nurse educator... who first touched them.
12:55 am
♪ you're a nurse ♪ you make a difference
12:56 am
none of this would have never happened if that didn't happen, what he started this whole thing. >> are you not following me? are you just being thick? is it just being thick or you want another ten minutes? >> no, ma'am. >> i tried to explain it to you in a kind way. it's the kindest he's seen me in about three hours. >> larry: going to try to get another call in, but quickly, do schools have the right and the duty to teach their children not to go to mcdonald's and burger
12:57 am
king? >> no. i think that the school should teach children positively, you teach the positively, these are the food groups you should eat and this is the portion and exercise and this is what's good for you, it's part of physical education or health, we used to call it health when we were in school, and that's what school is supposed to do, educate you. if the school educates you appropriately, you will eat once -- >> larry: they shouldn't campaign against. >> no. >> larry: charlotte, north carolina, hello. >> caller: hello. hi, judge judy. it's an honor to speak with you. i enjoy watching your show. >> thank you. >> caller: my question is, have you ever been threatened or physically harmed after a ruling? >> have i ever been threatened. yes, once. not with physical harm, but with professional retribution. and it was a very long time ago.
12:58 am
it had -- it was not in my television court, it was in family court. and i guess i have the kind of personalty that somebody threatens me i get my back up and i probably go just the opposite direction from where you want me to go. >> larry: you're the wrong person to -- >> yes. >> larry: dearfield, illinois. hello. >> caller: i'm a huge fan. you rule my dvr. >> thank you. >> caller: how do we better rehabilitate our felons and drug addicts? you seem to be so spot on spotting them out in your courtroom, how do we better help them get back on positive ground? >> you know, i think, first of all, i don't think that with felons, you're lumping people who have an addiction problem with felons.
12:59 am
>> larry: you can be a drug addict and a felon. >> you can be. but those people that hurt other citizens and who are using drugs sometimes i think that rehabilitation just doesn't work, you just have to slap them down and say, this is conduct we're not going to tolerate. i think you just have to keep trying with those people who become addicted to drugs, and i certainly don't think you should start down a slippery slope of saying these drugs are okay and these drugs are not okay. >> larry: you're signed through 2013? >> yes. >> larry: what about after that? >> you know, i don't know. i'm still having a good time. i still find my work exciting. public still seems to be watching it, but i just have to see. i don't think i have to make a commitment right now. >> larry: do you ever get tired of it? >> nope. i don't. i don't know what i would do if i didn't have it, actually. >> larry: but you're not sitting there once and saying -- oh. >> no. i find each case still interesting. people are different, and they may have the same basic story, but the personalties are different, there is always something unique about the way a case turns out, sometimes i'm surprised by the outcome, so

98 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on